We are always trying new granola bar recipes as the store bought ones are always loaded up with so much sugar.
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seed butter (or nut butter if you prefer)
- 1/4 cup each: pumpkin seeds, raisins, hemp hearts, chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (gluten free if you need)
*you can use anything to fill these up with goodness as long as the dry ingredients all measure up to the same quantity – use crispy rice cereal, different seeds, nuts, dried fruits…
What to do:
- Prepare an 8×8 pan by lining it with parchment paper.
- Cook the dates into a jam – in a small pot over low heat, add 1-2Tbsp water to the dates and cook until they fall apart. For raw – place the dates in a food processor or blender.
- Place all dry ingredients in a bowl and stir.
- In a small pot, melt the seed butter with the maple syrup or honey, stir until smooth.
- Pour the hot mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until blended.
- Dump the combined mixture into the prepared pan and press down until uniform. Cover with another bit of parchment paper. Cool in freezer for 30 minutes or until hard.
- Remove from pan, chop into bars (I did 9 bars).
These have kept really well in the air tight container in the freezer for a couple of weeks. Fabulous little snack or breakfast before the gym.
Yours in Health,
Kerri and Whitney