Our patients so often wonder what they can make for their family on a busy weekday. Here is a quick and easy way to get chicken in the oven and have it all gobbled up at the table!
You will need:
- 3 Tbsp gluten free flour (sorghum, millet, oat, starch, whatever you have)
- 3/4 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 1 cup milk of your choice, dairy or non dairy (water works just fine as well and won’t add any flavour)
- package of chicken drumsticks, about 12 (this works well with pieces of chicken breast as well)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
What to do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 450
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In two medium sized bowls, add the milk to one, add the breadcrumbs, flour, salt and pepper to the other.
- Dredge the chicken, piece by piece, first through the milk, then through the bread crumbs and place on the baking sheet.
- Place on the centre rack in the oven for 20 minutes. Turn each piece. Cook for another 20 minutes or until no pink remains.
- When I do chunks of chicken breast chunks I lower the temp to 375 and check on them after 20 minutes total.
While the chicken is in the oven, make your sides – we tend to steam up broccoli and have rice or barley going in the rice cooker. If you choose rice cooker, start the rice/barley before the chicken or have it set on a timer to be ready when you get home.
Dr. Kerri Fullerton ND & Dr. Whitney Young ND