Treatment for Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
Often, when asked about PMS, women say “oh, just the usual stuff. I manage.” Just because it’s common for women to experience PMS, does not mean that it’s normal and that you just have to deal with it.
A Naturopathic Doctor uses a number of modalities that can help alleviate PMS and PMDD by:
- Addressing hormone imbalances – thyroid, serotonin, progesterone, etc.
- Correcting nutritional deficiencies through diet, supplements and/or IV therapy
- Assessing abnormalities in gut flora
- Supporting proper liver function
- Lifestyle modifications
- Using acupuncture to regulate your natural hormonal cycles
PMS is a syndrome that affects 30-40% of menstruating women. For most of these women, the symptoms are mild and tolerable. But for many, the symptoms of PMS interfere with their lives. PMDD, premenstrual dysphoric disorder, is a much more severe condition that layers depression, irritability and severe mood swings on top of PMS symptoms.
Only one of the following symptoms needs to be present for a diagnosis of PMS to be made. The symptom(s) must happen in the last half of your cycle, peak close to your period and subside with flow or during menstruation. PMS symptoms include:
- Mild psychological discomfort: tension, irritability, depression
- Bloating and weight gain
- Breast tenderness, altered libido
- Swelling of hands and feet
- Various aches and pains (backache for example)
- Poor concentration, decreased energy
- Sleep disturbance
- Change in appetite
PMS is a complex issue that involves many systems in a woman’s body, including mental and emotional factors. A holistic treatment approach is therefore most effective.
Check out our blog post about PMS.
Irregular or difficult periods
Periods should happen at regular intervals. They should be relatively symptoms free as well.
There are many reasons why they may be happening too often, or not enough:
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Coming off birth control
- Hormone imbalances – thyroid, progesterone, insulin, etc.
Once we get to the root of the problem, we can start to relieve your frustration.
What defines menstrual issues?
- Bleeding between periods
- Bleeding for more than five days
- Cycles that are irregular (really long or really short or really different each month)
- PMS (bloating, swelling, fatigue, breast tenderness, moodiness)
- Missing periods
- Really heavy bleeding that disrupts your life or causes anemia
What affects periods?
- Hormones (thyroid, cortisol, estrogen, progesterone)
- Lifestyle (stress, exercise, sleep)
- Vitamin and mineral deficiencies
Our program involves getting to know you and your specific symptoms and then creating a plan which works for you. We will use our therapies that we know work and get you to a much better place.
To get started with Naturopathic Medicine book your assessment here or call 705-792-6717
Interested but not sure? Meet one of the doctors and have your questions answered by booking your free 15 min introduction here or by calling 705-792-6717