These little gems make a great on-the-run breakfast or snack. I often recommend these to new Moms who need nutrient dense foods that they can get in fast!
Experiment with the ingredients – mine are never the same. You can make them gluten free as we do or you can add some bran buds for added fibre. Try adding hemp hearts or other crushed seed like flax or chia. Just keep the ratio of wet and dry the same and you are good to go!
Over low heat, in a medium pot, combine until you have a smooth consistency:
- 2 1/2 cups nut butter or seed butter (seed or pea butter makes it school appropriate)
- 1/2 cup (more or less to taste by 1/4 cup to taste)
Remove from heat.
In a medium sized bowl, combine:
- 3 cups uncooked oatmeal (or other flaked grain like quinoa or kamut)
- 1/2 cup mixed nuts or seeds
- 1/2 cup raisins (or any other dried fruit)
- 1/4 cup fibre cereal (like the quinoa puffs, Life is good flax balls, bran buds, etc.)
- 1/4 cup crisp rice cereal
Add to butter and honey mixture. Combine thoroughly.
Spoon into mini muffin pans (with paper cups for easy out) or pour into parchment lined brownie pan and cut into bars after frozen.
Put into freezer to set. Remove from muffin tins and store in a freezer bag for easy access. If you made bars, wrap them in foil or plastic for grab-n-go convenience.
Enjoy! (but not too many at once – they are nutritiously dense)